As of 2001India census, Cuddalore had a population of 158,569. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%.
The district witnesses pleasant sea breeze all around the year. The temperature in these parts are quite warm although the real problem is posted by the humidity in the air. The best time to visit Cuddalore is between the months of October to March.
Even though Cuddalore has a bunch of industries, the main business of Cuddalore in the past, was fisheries. The original Cuddalore town is called OT (Old Town), it was once an anchor point for imports and exports, but after the Government started accumulating and organizing imports and exports to the nearest Metro city (Chennai), Cuddalore labor force was diluted to Factories and Industries.
Currently, the Government is concentrating on small to medium sized industries in and around Cuddalore. Such projects are SIDCO, SIPCOT, Regional Palm Products Manufacturing Society, Regional Sugarcane Research Foundation and more.
The proposed harbor is currently making the news as it can attract the Ship Building industry to Cuddalore.
Cuddalore District is predominatory agricultural district with coastal line stretching from Pondy Union Territory in the North to the mouth of the River Coleroon in the South. The total geographical district is 4283 sq.km with coastal line of 68 kms. The boundaries of the district are:
Some of the major schools in the town are:
The colleges in and around the town are:
The Neyveli Lignite Corporation (NLC), a public sector company operating out of Neyveli, is located near Cuddalore. Of the total quantum of thermal electricity generated in Tamil Nadu, a large percentage—more than 2500 megawatts—comes from the power plants in Neyveli.
Bala Aruna Theatre
Geography : it is at 11°45′N 79°45′E / 11.75°N 79.75°E
There are several tourist spots present in Cuddalore District. Tourism in Cuddalore District offers visits to several religious as well as historical sites. Natrajar Temple, Padaleeswarar Temple, Devanatha Swami Temple and Bhuvaraha Swami Temple are some of the main tourist sites of this district.
In the neighborhood are the ruins of Fort St David situated on the river Gadilam, which has a stirring history. As a small fort built by a Hindu merchant, it fell into the hands of the Marathas after the capture of Gingee by Sivaji in 1677. From them it was purchased by the English in 1690, the purchase including not only the fort but the adjacent towns and villages within "ye randome shott of a piece of ordnance." A great gun was fired to different points of the compass and all the country within its range, including the town of Cuddalore, passed into the possession of the English. The villages thus obtained are still spoken of as cannon ball villages.
From 1725 onwards the fortifications were greatly strengthened. In 1746 Fort St. David became the First British headquarters for the British India, and Dupleix' attack was successfully repulsed. Clive was appointed its governor in 1756; in 1758 the French captured it, but abandoned it two years later to Sir Eyre Coote. In 1782 the French captured it again, and restored it sufficiently to withstand a British attack in 1783, see Battle of Cuddalore (1783). In 1785 it finally passed into British possession.
Europeans started establishing their business settlements in Indian coast ever since 17th century. In the eastern coast French established their business settlements in Pondichéry and British established their settlements and business establishments in Cuddalore.
Later British started ruling the region and they built several forts. Fort St. David was the first fort built by British. Robert Clive, who laid a strong foundation for British rule in Indian subcontinent used St. David Fort as the centre for his military operations.
Fort St. David: Fort St. David was built in 1653 A.D. by Elihu Yale. The fort was strengthened on 1693, 1698, 1702, 1725, 1740 and on 1745.
Until 1758 Cuddalore was the capital to South Indian territories which was under British control then. British ruled a greater part of South India (entire Tamil Nadu, parts of present Andra Pradesh, Kerala and Karnataka) from this fort (St. David).
The fort was attacked by French in 1758. It was after this attack St. David Fort lost its political importance. The operational power was shifted to Fort St. George, Madras. Even today the post office in Devanampattinam (popularly know as Silver Beach) uses the rubber-stamp with Ft. St. David embossed in it.
Garden House: The present official residence of Cuddalore District Collector was then know as Garden House. It was then the residence of Robert Clive. The roof of the Garden House was built without steel and wood. It was built using only bricks and slaked lime. It bears testimony of the later medieval architecture. St. David fort was also built using the same ingredients and techniques.
The large vacant space next to Garden House which now know Chevalier Shivaji Arangam or Manjai Nagar (now known as manjakuppam)Ground was an esplanade then. British used to have esplanades near their fortresses.
Brookes Pet: Brookes Pet is half a kilometre from present Vandipalayam. It was named after Henry Brookes who ruled between 1767 and 1769.
Cumming Pet: The area to north of Thriupathiripuliyur is known as Cumming Pet. It was named after William Cumming who ruled the region from 1778. Cumming Pet was once a place meant for washermen. On 1798 Tipu Sultan-The King of Mysore invaded Cumming Pet and the settlements there cleared on the invasion.
Cuddalore Old Town (O.T.) Present day Cuddalore O.T. was known as Islamabad during the Mughal period. Even today the majority of the people in Cuddalore O.T. follow Islam. Cuddalore O.T. has one of the oldest and biggest mosque in South India. The mosque and most of the houses there were built in Persian style. Until 1866 District Collectorate, Cuddalore Municipal Office and other administrative offices were in present Cuddalore O.T. In 1866 all these offices were shifted to Manjai Nagar. It was only after the shift in 1866 the term Cuddalore OT and Cuddalore NT (NewTown) came into existence. Still there are several streets and localities named after popular British rulers. Clive street, Wellington street are some to name.
Gadilam Castle: Nawab Umdat-ul-Umara built Gadilam Castle in 18th century. Gadilam Castle was located to the North of Gadilam river. It was built exactly in the place where the present Brindhavan Hotel is located.
Capper Hills: Capper Hills was named after Francis Capper who was the Captain till 1796. He resided in a palace in there. British built a prison in the Capper Hills. Freedom fighters like Barathiar and other prisoners of war were imprisoned there.
British Educational Institution: In 1717 St. David school was started in Cuddalore O.T. to educate the children of East India Company. In 1886 a college was started in its premises. The college was named after St. Joseph. It is one of the earliest schools in India which follows Western education system.
Roads named after British like Napier Road, Lawrence Road, Imperial Road and streets like Clive street, Wellington street, business establishments like Panpari market and Parry's House remains a reminder of the British rule here.
K.M from Chennai : It is at Distance of 180Km
Tsunami waves that followed the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake near Sumatra hit the eastern coast of India on 26 December 2004 by 08:32 in the morning. Cuddalore was heavily affected by the waves. 572 bodies were recovered and many are still missing. Several fishing hamlets have simply disappeared. Silver Beach and the historically important Cuddalore Port were devastated. Fort St. David survived without damage.
Cuddalore, being accessible from major cities like Chennai and Bangalore, received relief supplies relatively early. The management of relief operations in the district was handled by the local authorities and villagers themselves. Some remote villages became inaccessible due to a bridge breaking apart, leaving rescued villagers very anxious about their homes.
Near By Places :
· 1 Chennai 180 km
· 2 Bangalore 274 km
· 3 Karaikal 80 km
· 4 Pondicherry 22 km
· 5 Tiruchirappalli 180 km
· 6 Salem 120 km
· 7 Tiruvannamalai 120 km
Festivals: The major festivals celebrated at the temple in Thiruvahindrapuram are the Brahmotsavam in Tamil month Chitrai, Desikar festival in Puratasi and Masi Makam (sea bath) at Devanampattinam, and Vaikunta Ekadasi festival in Markazhi / Thai months